XRT’s Friday Feature is Rockin’Families. This Sunday it’s brother vs. brother in the big game. For Friday at I have whipped up a Lin’s Bin on the subject of “Brothers.” I have two. We all survived. Bands that feature brothers do not always fare as well. Just because brothers in bands have been known to punch each other in the head on and off stage doesn’t mean that can’t make wonderful music together.
Here is my top ten countdown of the bands who feature brothers.
10. Oasis-Liam and Noel. Each has an insufferable side. Together they achieved success that belied their ill will towards each other.
9. AC DC-Angus and Malcolm. The guitar nexus. If you don’t accept the importance of this band, you haven’t been paying attention. Still going strong.
8. Arcade Fire-Win and Will. The band also includes Win’s wife Regine. We will find out if two brothers and a wife is a recipe for longevity in the music business. All they’ve done so far is blow us away.
7. Radiohead-Johnny and Colin Greenwood. Big brother Colin plays bass. Of precocious brother Johnny, Colin says, “it makes my promise to keep an eye on him for my mother a lot easier.”
6.The Everly Brothers-Phil and Don. At the dawn of the rock era, these two battling brothers had an incalculable influence on those who would dare sing in harmony.
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival-John and Tom. They had a nice run together in the late 60′s and early 70′s when they ruled the charts.
4. The Allman Brothers-Gregg and Duane. Duane died much too young so the majority of their recording history involves only one brother. Their classic material together gave musical brothers a good name.
3. The Neville Brothers-Aaron, Cyril, Art, Charles. The first family of New Orleans. What is amazing is how much important music they made apart from each other before the formally became a family ensemble.
2. The Kinks-Ray and Dave. Their rows were legendary. Maybe if they had taken a break from fighting early in their career, they could have told us the proper pronunciation of their last name.
1. The Beach Boys-Brian, Dennis, Carl. The Good Vibrations didn’t last forever but there were years where the genius was in their blood.