6. Yankee Doodle Dandy – James Cagney
For anyone who thinks of Cagney as a tough guy, here’s a delightful reminder that he was George M. Cohan’s pick to play Cohan in the 1942 movie of the same name.
7. Kicks – Paul Revere and the Raiders
This Paul Revere rode to alert America of the Rock invasion. We surrendered.
8. America – Simon & Garfunkel
A road trip, romance, existential angst and the New Jersey Turnpike. All delivered with soaring harmonies. Beautiful.
9. Rockin’ In The Free World – Neil Young
Angst? Yes, and still we keep on rockin’.
10. The Revolution Starts Now – Steve Earle
Earle’s liner notes from 2004: “Democracy is hard work. American democracy requires constant vigilance to survive and nothing short of total engagement to flourish. Voting is vital, but in times like these voting alone simply isn’t enough. By the time some of you hear these songs the election will be over. Then the real struggle begins.”