Every day is Earth Day (although Aquaman and Prince Namor might disagree), but it’s formally celebrated this weekend. Fall in love with your Mother all over again by cranking these terra firma tunes:
- “Third Stone From the Sun” by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Inspired by Star Trek and written from the alien point of view.
- “The Earth Dies Screaming” by Tom Waits. Worst case Earth Day scenario. Not to be confused with the 1965 movie, where people die quietly.
- “Planet Earth” by Duran Duran. It’s the one that has people with weird 80′s haircuts.
- “Holding on to the Earth” by Sam Phillips. Just be careful where you put your hands.
- “One World (Not Three)” by the Police. Although, it would be nice to have a spare or two.
- “He’s Got the Whole World In His Hands” by Laurie London. And you thought it was just gravity!
- “Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)” by Marvin Gaye. The epitome of green soul.
- “World Turning” by Fleetwood Mac. The global rotisserrie that enables even cooking.
- “Digging In the Dirt” by Peter Gabriel. Without that little layer of topsoil, we would be celebrating Crust Day. (Cut mine off, ma!)
- “Nature’s Way” by Spirit. A classic ecological warning.