Flaming Lips To Release All-Star Album For Record Store Day
[photogallerylink id=72876 align=left]The Flaming Lips understand where their bread is buttered. Independent records are the bedrock of the music business. Despite being a niche audience, record store shoppers help shape what the rest of us listen to. They’re out in front of the trends.
The Flaming Lips are no strangers to big musical splashes. The ultra-creative group has incorporated lasers, giant inflatable hamster balls, bullhorns and giant clapping hands in their live shows. But their creative strength actually starts with the music.
The Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends boasts an inedible line-up of guests including Yoko Ono, Nick Cave, Chris Martin of Coldplay, Bon Iver, Ke$ha, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Biz Markie and more.
Some of these tracks have already appeared on previously released, limited edition color vinyl 12″ EPs released in past months, which sold out as soon as they became available. Most of the tracks on the album are being released here for the first time and will surprise even the most ardent Lips fans.
The Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends will be pressed on two high-quality, multi-color vinyl discs housed in separate custom art jackets and poly bagged together. No two discs will look exactly alike. This double album will be limited and released exclusively for Record Store Day, April 21. The entire allotment will be sold during record store day. No more records will be produced , turning the album into an instant collector’s item.
- 2012 (featuring Ke$ha and Biz Markie)
- Ashes In The Air (featuring Bon Iver)
- Helping The Retarded To Know God (featuring Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
- Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee (featuring Prefuse 73)
- Children Of The Moon (featuring Tame Impala)
- That Ain’t My Trip (featuring Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
- You, Man? Human? (featuring Nick Cave)
- I’m Working At NASA On Acid (featuring Lightning Bolt)
- Do It! (featuring Yoko Ono)
- Is David Bowie Dying? (featuring Neon Indian)
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (featuring Erykah Badu)
- Thunder Drops (featuring New Fumes)
- I Don’t Want You To Die (featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay)
In addition to the limited edition set above, the Lips will also make their Spoonful Weighs A Ton 7″ vinyl single available for Record Store Day.
The Flaming Lips / Mastodon: A Spoonful Weighs A Ton (7″ baby pink vinyl single) The mighty Mastodon faithfully covers the Lips classic “Spoonful Weighs a Ton,” from The Soft Bulletin album. Ferociously beautiful! This single is part of our on-going Side by Side 2012 Series, which was initially introduced in 2011. All are exclusive for Record Store Day on uniquely colored and extremely limited edition 7″ vinyl singles, featuring Warner artists covering other historic and personally influential iconic artists.