Greetings. This is the playlist for Blues Breakers. This is a one hour blues specialty show that runs on Monday nights from 9 PM to 10 PM on WXRT, Chicago. On Monday, April 11th, our Artist of the Week was [lastfm]Pinetop Perkins[/lastfm]. July 7, 1913 Belzoni, MS – March 21, 2011 Austin, TX
Be sure to join us next week Monday at nine PM CDT when our Artist of the Week will be Chicago’s houserockin’ Hound Dog Taylor.
- SONG – ARTIST
- DOWN IN MISSISSIPPI – [lastfm]PINETOP PERKINS[/lastfm] WITH [lastfm]BB KING [/lastfm] – This recording can be found on the 2005 album Pinetop Perkins and Friends.
- KANSAS CITY – [lastfm]MUDDY WATERS[/lastfm] – This track is from the 1975 album, The Muddy Waters Woodstock Album, the last record Muddy recorded for Chess Records. It features [lastfm]Paul Butterfield[/lastfm] on harp, [lastfm]Levon Helm[/lastfm] and Garth Hudson of [lastfm]The Band[/lastfm] on drums and organ respectively, [lastfm]Bob Margolin[/lastfm]on guitar, and, of course, [lastfm]Pinetop Perkins[/lastfm] on piano and additional vocals.
- ONE MORE SHOT – [lastfm]LONNIE BROOKS[/lastfm] – Lonnie will be at Buddy Guy’s Legends this Saturday night. Lonnie will be a headliner at next month’s Chicago Blues Fest. For complete line-up go to 93XRT.com/tom. This song is from the album, Hot Shot.
- CHANGED MAN – [lastfm]MICHAEL BURKES [/lastfm] – Michael plays this Friday at Buddy Guy’s Legends. Michael will be returning to Chicago for the Chicago Blues Festival. For complete line-up go to 93XRT.com/tom. This song is from his new album, Iron Man.
- MEDICINE – [lastfm]TAB BENOIT[/lastfm] – This will be the title track on a new album by Tab that’s due late this month. Tab is joined here by guitarist [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Anders Osborne[/lastfm].
- PINETOP’S BOOGIE WOOGIE – [lastfm]PINETOP PERKINS[/lastfm] WITH [lastfm]MUDDY WATERS BAND [/lastfm] – This song is on the “bonus disc” released by Columbia Legacy in 2003. It’s a re-release of the 1979 album, Muddy Mississippi Waters Live with an extra disc of recordings made at the same time but not previously released. This song was recorded at Harry Hopes in Cary, IL, a club that served as one of a couple of Muddy’s “home clubs” in the late seventies. Pinetop would come out with the band and this would be one of the songs he would play to warm up the audience before Muddy made his entrance. Among the band members are [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Bob Margolin[/lastfm] on guitar, and Willie ‘Big Eyes” Smith on drums.
- PINETOP’S NEW BOOGIE WOOGIE – [lastfm]PINETOP PERKINS[/lastfm] WITH [lastfm]MARCIA BALL[/lastfm] – This song is from the album,Ladies Man. Pinetop used to flirt with the ladies right up to the end. This 2004 album includes contributions from some of the best ladies recording blues at the time including [lastfm]Ann Rabson[/lastfm], [lastfm]Odetta[/lastfm], [lastfm]Angela Strehli[/lastfm], [lastfm]Ruth Brown[/lastfm], [lastfm]Madeline Peyroux[/lastfm], [lastfm]Deborah Coleman[/lastfm]
and [lastfm]Susan Tedeschi[/lastfm].
- I CAN’T BE SATISFIED- [lastfm]PINETOP PERKINS [/lastfm] and [lastfm]WILLIE “BIG EYES” SMITH[/lastfm] – This song is from the current Pinetop-”Big Eyes” album, the Grammy winning Joined at the Hip. Willie will be joining blues great [lastfm]Bob Stroger[/lastfm] (bass) and friends this Saturday at Rosa’s for a Tribute to [lastfm]Pinetop Perkins[/lastfm] show.
- LUMPUS D’ RUMPUS- [lastfm]DAVE SPECTER[/lastfm] – From Dave’s new, all instrumental album, Spectified.