About Marc Alghini
At the age of thirteen, Marc convinced WMXM, the college radio station in Lake Forest, to let him do a radio show. While there, he educated himself on the cutting-edge music of the early and mid 1980’s. After sneaking into Tut’s (now a tanning salon at Belmont and Sheffield) to see one of Mission of Burma’s last Chicago shows, Marc enrolled at Emerson College in Boston and DJ’d for their station, WERS, just before the Boston music scene exploded into the national limelight. Living in Boston, he shared apartments with the Blake Babies, road managed The Lemonheads, released the first recordings by Galaxie 500 (Luna) and was eventually hired by alternative station WFNX.
Marc returned to Chicago for a brief period in the early 90’s and began working for the highly respected UK record label, Mute. In 1994, he was transferred to New York City. His travels included touring with Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds as part of Lollapalooza ’94. After leaving Mute, Marc worked for such respected labels as Nettwerk and Astralwerks , the latter as Head of Promotion, where he was responsible for the U.S. careers of The Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim among others. Before returning to Chicago in late 2005, Marc was the manager for the UK group Groove Armada and the Los Angeles-based group Supreme Beings of Leisure. His first airshift on 93XRT was on Christmas morning 2005. Besides the Donny and Marie drum kit he got one Christmas, Marc thought it was the best present ever.
5 Places You Can Pretty Much Expect to See Marc:
- Wrigley Field between April and October (well, Oct is rare)
- Cozy Corner Diner and Pancake House (Milwaukee/California)
- Floyd’s on Armitage and Oakley
- Any one of the amazing live music venues in Chicago
- Pompeii Bakery on Taylor St. (the open faced pizza is where it’s at)
Biggest Lie Marc ever told and tells every year:
- The Cubs will win the World Series this year
5 Obscure Marc Facts:
- His Great Grandfather manufactured Macaroni in Chicago for years
- Got to see the Bozo Show live, twice
- Boycotted night games at Wrigley for 5 years
- Has a Brussel sprouts recipe that even people who hate Brussel sprouts love.
- While interning at XRT, Marty Lennartz refused to buy Marc a Beer at a Cubs Game because he was underage. Marty still refuses to buy Marc a beer.