About Terri Hemmert

terri 3852 About Terri Hemmert

Terri Hemmert has been at WXRT for over 30 years. Starting as overnight announcer and Public Affairs Director in 1973, Terri became the first female morning drive personality in Chicago in 1981. In 1992, Terri moved to the 9AM to noon time-slot, and in 2002 became host of Breakfast with The Beatles, 8 to 10AM on Sundays.

Prior to joining WXRT, Hemmert was an air personality at WCMF in Rochester, NY and also served as program coordinator for WGLD (currently WVAZ) in Chicago.

She has served on the Board of Directors of the Peace Museum, Facets Multimedia and other not-for-profit groups. She teaches the History of Rock and Soul in the broadcasting department of Columbia College Chicago, where she has taught for 30 years, and was an advisor at the student radio station, WCRX. She volunteers with the Inner City Teaching Corps, Latin School of Chicago, and other schools, teaching classes on the Roots of Rap, Women in Music, Classical Music’s influence on Rock and Soul and other musical topics. Terri works on music education programs with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and co-hosts The Classic Encounter Series. She serves on the advisory board of WRSE-FM (the Elmhurst College student radio station.) She is also an active volunteer with the AIDS Pastoral Care Network and St. Clement Catholic Church. Hemmert has hosted Chicago’s Fest For Beatles Fans for nearly 30 years. In her spare time, she loves surfing the net, reading, listening to music, living with two dogs and two cats, and visiting her family in Ohio.

Terri Hemmert resides in Chicago and is a graduate of Elmhurst College with a bachelor of arts in speech.

Go Beyond the Bio with Terri Hemmert.

Comments

1. Paul D Pierce says:

Extremely sad to say that I can no longer receive Breakfast w/Beatles online. Have not been able to get it for almost 2 months after being a faithful listener for 2 years! This morning when I tried to log on it said, “Sorry, CBS Radio is unavailable in your area.” .I am crushed. Too bad I live and work in Cairo, Egypt. Love ya, PDP

2. Dave says:

Long time listener whom now has an 8 year old daughter who’s two favorite artists are The Beatles & George Harrison. We listen to Breakfast with the Beatles every morning and her entire room is decorated with new and old Beatles memorabilia, some from Val’s Halla! Wanted to send you a picture of her and her room. Where can i send it to?

3. Regina says:

Congratulations on being nominated to the radio hall of fame! Way to go Terri – you’ve earned it! I tried to vote for you today but it’s apparently not open yet. I’ll vote as soon as I get the chance.

I’ve been a loyal XRT listener since 1979. Unfortunately, I can’t listen to radio at work but I do get to hear you host Breakfast with the Beatles on Sunday. And I usually give you a call when you work on Christmas to thank you for working on the holiday for us. =)

4. Tim says:

Terri,

I went to our Latin Mass at Holy Angels (Aurora, IL). In the his homily the Priest referenced John Lennon from the Dick Cavett Show. The topic of their discussion was world over-population. Lennon’s response (to the surprise of the Priest) was the world needs more people not fewer-people, and people who love one another. This Priest loved what Lennon said and thought is spot on.

How about that?! A Sunday morning Latin Mass referencing John Lennon. I immediately thought of you for more than the obvious. Thanks for your humility and cheery personality you bring to every program.

PAX,

Tim

5. ann p. says:

Dear Terri;
    For a photography course I’m shooting a series about the plight of the unemployed. The theme is being “disconnected–off the grid.” Might you have an opportunity in your busy schedule to suggest some music that would coincide? Something bluesy or folksy would be great. What are your thoughts?
    This photo series is especially important because it reflects my own sentiments. I’ve been out of a full-time job for 18 months, and I’ve been spinning myself around and inside out to find a job.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    Ann P.

6. p says:

Important info for B w/ the Beatles!

From Jonathan Turley (big time Law professor at GWU and MSNBC):

Fab Four Sues Fab Four.

“I Wanna Be Your Man”: Beatles Impersonators Sue Beatles Impersonators For Their Impersonation of Beatles

Just the way he weaves in all those song titles as he reviews the case is priceless.

7. Kelly says:

Way to go Terri-I voted for you because you deserved it. Glad they recognized it as well. Congrats and hope you’re around for another 30+ years

8. TIM JACKSON says:

TERRY
    Congratulations!! Long overdue. You are such an incredible person and an amazing example to all of us.
    God Bless You!

Tim Jackson
    Sr. Writer/Producer (ret)
    WGN-TV

9. Olga Stamos says:

Your Great Terri! Love Ya!

10. Loren says:

Terri,
    I saw you on Chicago Tonight and I have a slight issue with one of your comments. You said that you hated what Pat boone did to the songs of Fats Domino and Little Richard. While it is true that a song like “Aon’t That A Shame” sounds better coming from Domino than Boone, without Pat presenting these songs to the public first it would have been much more difficult for these artist to break in the national spotlight and have their music and sound be accepted by main streem audience. Pat Boone paved the way for many black artist. And they had no right to complain. They made a nice royalty on Pat’s version before their songs ever came to market. Just wanted to make that point.

11. Mrs. A. says:

Ms. Hemmert, Best wishes to you but can you please play more Beatles and less of the cover b ands or others doing the Beatles? thanks

12. Tom McGinniss says:

Hey Terry! Nice meeting you at the Fest. ( You & Deco were in her room and me and my wife, Julie were chatting with you about stuff) I’ve run the Fest recording studio for 19 years, but had never met you. Our son, Josh, who works for Mark just loves you to pieces. Take care, and see you at the next Chicago Fest!

Tom http://www.tjplusproductions.com

13. Ellen Hemmert says:

Hello from the other Ellen Hemmert. Ron and I are in Chicago working on the flood/high water damage and wanted to say hello. If you have time, maybe we could get together for dinner/coffee. We will probaby be here another several weeks. El

14. Jerry Hund says:

Terri,
    I am a big fan of yours and of the Beatles. Graduated HS in 1968 and explain today to my students at Bartlett HS how wonderful it was to live the Beatle experience and live with anticipation for the next new album. There experience is that they have they entire collection to live with at once. It is really cool to see my kids really enjoy the Beatles and other 60’s bands when we hear them on the radio in my CAD lab (after my lectures of course). I never saw the Beatles in concert even though I could have when they came to the old Ampetheatre. My uncle at the time was head of food and beverages and he had tickets. He met them. I was just 15 and didn’t drive yet. My how the Beatles sounded great in my basement back then. Speakers place at each end of the room!
    Thanks,

Jerry Hund

PS Did you see the AAmco commercial on TV? The last guy explaining his car problem sure looks a lot like Paul in his Let It Be days!

15. Diana Andrews says:

Congratulations, Terri! You certainly deserve being inducted to the National Radio Hall of Fame! I was able to stream your show for a little while, and totally enjoyed it! Even more, Rick & I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you on the January 2010 LRBC! You are a treasure, and I/we look forward to seeing you again — hopefully BEFORE the 2013 LRBC! Best of success, health & happiness! Love you, Diana

16. Debbie H. says:

CONGRATULATIONS on your election to the Hall of Fame. If anyone deserves it, you do. You are a great DJ but more than that you are a good person. I am so happy that the Hall of Fame realizes that. I go way back with you and actually had you as my sponsor for one of XRT’s annual smoke out day sponsorship of one person for you and one for (i think) it was Frank E. Lee, but I got you and received calls from you during the day with encouragement to not smoke, i’m sorry to say that I am still smoking. Anyways……….I just wanted to congratulate you and say that I have a lot of respect and love for you. Debbie Hernandez

17. Penny Zemar says:

Terri
    I moved AZ They don’t have a radio program I miss WXRT
    On Saturay or Sunday they have Breakfast with the Beatls rhy suck I alo miss your showCongrats On your award
    Take care

18. Karen Hart says:

Terri,
    I wanted to make sure you knew how appreciative we are of your support for local bands. It’s great to hear from our fans that they heard you talking about the upcoming Karen Hart Band shows. Thank you so much! Hope you have a great holiday and an even better New Year!

Thanks again,
    Karen Hart

19. Kelly says:

Hi Terri,
    Just wanted you to know that you make Chicago great and I’m lucky to get to listen to you every day at work. I just wanted to let you know that it’s so refreshing to hear your voice every morning. Usually there’s a crabby vibe in the air at our office every morning but somehow you cut right through it so thank you. You’re so authentic and Chicago is very lucky to have you. Thank you for all that you do! You are great and you pick me up every day!

20. stacy says:

Please help our school win $50,000. Piqua Catholic, Terri’s hometown school needs your support.
    Please vote for our grant:
    http://www.refreshourschools.com, vote all 3 ways daily this month!!!!
    Watch our cute video:

Thank you Chicago!!!!

21. Lori Grissom Williams says:

Hi Terri,
    Friend from Piqua,Oh. Congrats on your award. I was best friends with your sister Joan. She got me hooked on the Beatles. I have lived in a few parts of the country. Everyone has heard of you. I felt like I knew you by all the posters in your room. Keep up all the good things that you do!

22. Kelly says:

I learned about your career successes and ties to Piqua, OH, in a front-page story of the Piqua Daily Call in 2010. Congratulations on your hard-earned awards and accomplishments. Now Piqua has some big news to share with you! Piqua Catholic School is competing in a national voting competition, much like American Idol, to win a $50K grant to replace the tile gym floor. If you’ve seen it, you know why it needs replaced! We entered the month-long competition in December, and came short of a top-10 finish, earning 15th place. We re-entered the competition on January 3rd and currently hold 5th place. Please help us spread the word so we can accumulate enough votes to remain in the top 10 by the end of January. Visit our website http://www.piquacatholic.org and vote for our idea daily! Hometown proud, Kelly

23. Andy Burner says:

Terri, Congratulations on being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Any more contests with the prize being a trip to Piqua? Keep going with your Beatles beat. We’re proud of you in Piqua!!

24. James Willett says:

Hey Terri,

Love the b’fast w/the Beatles show. Keep up great work. I’m wondering if XRT gets involved with any Beatles events that would/could incorporate Beatles-related art? My buddy is a Cleveland artist whose been regularly featured in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame & Museum with his line of Beatles art. (See link below). I’d love to help him connect w/your show, if you get involved.

25. Anne says:

Back in the early 70’s, my brother introduced me to XRT and said you had the best radio voice. “It’s sexy,” he said. Happy Valentine’s Day!

26. Jordan Podolsky says:

My 8 year old daughter, Jordan, wanted to share this with you:

Dear Ms. Hemmert,

I thought you might like this AWESOME video!

Your BIGGEST fan,
    Jordan Podolsky!

27. reba says:

I just noticed this week that once an hour you play an instrumental for about 7 or so minutes……….when did you start doing that, and why?????????? sounds like Mario Cart when he falls asleep

28. Mary Kate McHugh says:

Dear Terri,
    I am a student at York Community High School in Elmhurst and I recently started the first radio program at York. I am working with EC and their studio and have met some amazing people. I was wondering if you might be interested in speaking with some York and EC students alike about radio and how it has impacted your life. We would be so honored to listen to your story. Thank you so much and I hope to hear from you!
    Sincerely,
    Mary Kate

29. mary niewinski says:

big fan of the beatles

30. sari says:

Happy Birthday Terri!!!!

31. Mark Kubiak says:

Hey Terri, … you played a song today, 5/11, that sounded like Joe Cocker? Tag line was “I’m not your Repo Man”

Who was this?

Columbia Grad & loving your show since 1971

32. mansour moradian says:

hi terri
    love you love breakfast with beatles.i’m with you everysundy
    today you played FOR NO ONE by different artist
    i need the name of the band.thans mansour

33. Deborah Houtz says:

The Beatle Brothers will be playing at the 24th Annual Oak Fest 2011 on July 4th from 6:30 to 9:30 pm. Was wondering if you could advertise the fest for us? It is at 159th & Central in Oak Forest. Please email me at pdhoutz@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions! Thanks!

34. Mary Verschelde says:

Hi Terri,

Wondering if there is still a Beatles Brunch anywhere in the Chicagoland area. I’d sure appreciate a response.
    Thanks much

35. Tom from Austin says:

Got an I pad, got an I phone. I listen to you and xrt every day terri, now more than when I lived at home in chitown. Life is good!! We’re so lucky to have this station.

36. Kathy McCabe says:

Terri, I am trying to reach you to see if you are interested in interviewing Freda Kelly on your radio program. Freda headed up The Official Beatles Fan Club in the UK from 1961-1872, was secretary to The Beatles and Brian Epstein for years, and was in the film Magical Mystery Tour. I am producing a documentary on her called ‘Good Ol’ Freda’ (the line taken from The Beatles 1963 Christmas record) and Freda is doing interviews supporting the project. If you are interested, please get in touch with me on kmccabe44@comcast.net. Thank you! Glad Paul gave you that big hug!!! Kathy McCabe, Producer/’Good Ol’ Freda’/Tripod Media

37. Kim Kerkbashian says:

Hi Terri … I wonder if you (or anyone) could help me out here. I was listening to XRT and there was a ‘text in’ to win tickets to see The National in December. Here’s the thing that confuses me…..I could swear that it was said that this would be a great Christmas concert for kids! I’m not familiar with The National but I heard them on XRT just the other night (like them!) checked out their web site and didn’t see much that looked like either Christmas concert-ish or kid-ish. I feel a little silly now ’cause I texted, got an error message back so called the number given, then told a nice young man how great it would be to win ticket and take my 7 year old daughter to a Christmas concert by The National! Thanks, Kim

38. Chris says:

Terri,

We love you and your show! You are the best DJ on radio anywhere!

Chris

39. Gerard says:

Terri, I never miss Breakfast with the Beatles. Thank you.

40. Lora Lynn Manning says:

I am so happy that I can finally listen to XRT at my home in Davenport, IA. I’m not that far from home, but listening brings me even closer! Listening to breakfast with the Beatles this Sunday thanks Terri !!! I’ve been a loyal listener for over 30 years and everyday is still fresh and vibrant!